Saturday, June 1, 2013

On Courtesy

This one is for the guys. Look gents, I feel compelled to say something about your guys' conduct at the dance last night. If you go to a dance, you should be prepared to (wait for it) - dance. Is that really too much to ask? It's your duty as a man to ask a woman to go to the dance floor with him. It doesn't matter who the woman is, or how well she dances. I found myself thinking of a line from Pride and Prejudice: "He danced only 4 dances, though gentlemen were scarce, and more than one lady was in want of a partner." Its scandalizing for Mr. Darcy to dance only 4 daces - right now, it looks like were lucky to see a guy dance at all. Its really hard for a woman to have to go to a dance, to spend time making herself look nice, to discover that it is only just another social gathering. What's even harder is the realization that not only I, but several other girls I have talked to have come to simply expect that, going to a dance, they will not get danced with. This is truly disappointing. It's simple, common courtesy to dance when you go to a dance - if you're not going to, then don't come. Girls shouldn't have to sit there hours after hour and not get danced with at all. Freestyle is all very well and fun, but girls can't to swing with another girl like they can with a boy. Dances are meant to be fun - and you're enjoying yourself at the expense of our enjoyment. It's. Not. Enjoyable. 
Girls, if you are continually getting asked and know that there are girls who haven't been, encourage whoever keeps asking you to ask someone else. 
Boys, if you don't dance with a girl because she's not pretty - that's the way God made her, so suck it up. If you don't dance with her because she's not as good, how is she ever going to get better is she is never even given the chance to do so? Please, boys, this is far more important than you think. You all are such wonderful people - live up to it! I can expect such great things from you - can I expect the small as well?
"A real woman can do it herself, but a real man won't let her." - Anonymous
-Rhian
P.S. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm hardly speaking for myself - I don't care whether you dance with me or not, I care that you dance. Period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment