Monday, May 27, 2013

In Memoriam

Today we remember. While in Mass this morning commemorating those who have died protecting me, and you, and everyone else, I was thinking about them. I don't know anyone who has died in service, though I do know some vets, but it was during the Consecration that it rather struck me - I know that we are all made in the image and likeness of Christ, all supposed to be like him, but somehow, the veterans completed that task in a way we don't often think of. Christ gave his body for us - they gave their body for us as well. Christ shed his blood, and so did they. Too often we forget that the reason we are safe today is because of them. Our men and women give up their families and friends an their lives for people they don't even know. When I looked at the news this morning, I saw that a politician had apologized for a sex comment, and that Brad Pitt had said he used drugs. We don't see that men and women in our state died today protecting us, even on Memorial Day. We're expected to be interested in and remember the bad deeds of the celebrities, and we can't seem to remember the good ones of the army because they don't flaunt themselves. They don't ask for our attention - but they deserve it.
So, I'm going to give you a list of names now. These are men and women who died this month while serving our country. Don't forget them because you don't know them - they didn't forget you.


Sgt. Eugene Aguon. 23 years old

Spc. Dwayne Flores. 22 years old

Sgt. Trenton L. Rhea. 33 years old

Capt. Sarah Knutson. 27 years old

Capt. Victoria Pinckney, 27 years old

Capt. Brandon Cyr, 28 years old

These are six of over 200 people who died this month alone. We Whitney Houston's death went worldwide. No one mourns these but their families and friends - and now, me, and hopefully you.
No quote today - just remember.
-Rhian


No comments:

Post a Comment