Sunday, August 4, 2013

On Siblings and Selena Gomez

You can probably guess from the title alone that I have nothing to write about, but I figured since a month exactly is long enough to be absent from my blog, I have to write about something. So here we go; try to stay with me here. It has now been a while since I watched the screen adaption of Beverly Cleary's Ramona and Beezus, and consequently feel like like an idiot every time I see it because I bawl like a baby. Maybe its because the character of Ramona was brought brilliantly to life by Joey King, but I'm guessing it was more the fact that Ramona herself reminds me freakishly of my own little sister - and the character of Beezus maybe just a little bit like myself. Not really trying to be mean, but just has it in her veins to tease the life from her rambunctious little sis. The death of the family cat and Beezus asking Ramona to sleep in her room because she misses her little sister, and the confidences the two share reminded me a great deal of my own relationship with Genevieve, and about how even the age difference between us still can make us close. After watching the film, after sobbing, I decided wholeheartedly to be nicer to Genna than Beezus was to Ramona. I suppose only Genna will be able to tell me if there was any change, but it woke me up to the reality of maybe that's why I don't feel close to her and I know for a fact that we've certainly enjoyed a better relationship after watching that movie. So there's Selena Gomez movie #1.
#2 is the Disney flick The Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie. While I know nothing about the TV show, on a hunt for a family movie last night I suggested it and we ended up watching it. For a Disney Channel film, it was surprisingly moving - surprise, surprise, it was Selena Gomez and her siblings again (I should have expected as much). Only this time it was with her older brother. And while her character Alex certainly doesn't remind me of myself(...I think...I hope...), Justin really did remind me of my own older brother, and a few of the more touching scenes did reduce me to tears. And there was one scene, one line, that the crying Selena says to her brother that has rung true with me my entire life: "You're everything that I've ever wanted to be". So while Genevieve laughed her head off, I curled up under my blanket and sniffled (I can't expect her to know why I cry at such things, I don't even know why I cry at such things). 
So out of this comes 2 lessons - #1, Disney movies aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Really. And #2, I've found a new respect for the Disney flick actress Selena Gomez - she's got a good modern girl act that can make me cry, and she herself, as a person, is pretty good as far as they go - I said, 'Dad, I want a promise ring.' He went to the church and got it blessed. He actually used me as an example for other kids. I'm going to keep my promise to myself, to my family and to God." This is her own personal quote on remaining a virgin until marriage - not bad for the people out there today, right? She's not as terrible as everyone makes her out to be, either.
Thus ends my post, and only you, my readers, can tell me if I can pull off not having anything to write about.
-Rhian




No comments:

Post a Comment