Tuesday, August 20, 2013

On twenty years

I will take this moment to give a shout-out to the two most amazing, incredible, fantastically fabulous, cosmic people that are and probably ever will be in my life. About twenty four years ago, a girl named Samantha Browner came to visit her sister Jennifer in college. She met Jennifer's friend Jason there, on the day she left. After she got on the plane, Jason turned to Jen and asked, wide-eyed, "That's your sister?"
My aunt replied in the affirmative, adding a testy "and you can stay away from her."
The next year Samantha came to college. And after three years of dating, two breakups and three consecutive proposals, on August 20th, 1993, Jason Negri and Samantha Browner were married (my dad with a 102 fever).
My parents are everything to me. My Dad supports my insane antics (sometimes)., and understands my humorous side. He knows the importance of quality time, he is funny and loves movies and books just like I do. And he gave me two gifts that I don't think I can ever repay: the gift of musical talent (which I only exhibit around the house), and the gift of discipline and expectancy. Yes, I know that's technically three things, but the material point is that he drives me to do my best in everything, and is always proud of what I accomplished if I tried my hardest, even when it's terrible.
My mom is far and above the most understanding person that I have ever had the blessing to talk to. She has a gift with words that makes me understand what she is trying to get across to me (usually), and never in my life has she failed to make me feel better when I have a problem. She is a great deal like me, and she has a "been there, done that, and I know how it feels, and its not as bad as you think" attitude towards seemingly every problem that makes everyone who has come to her with a problem feel much, much better about it. She passed this gift on to my my brother, and I hope and pray that someday it will come to me. In the meantime, I got the love of...everything. Just a simple outlook on the beauty of life that makes me happy. 
But the most incredible gift that my parents and God ever gave me was...the gift of me. I am alive and kickin', and hope that I will be for a while yet. I hope that someday I will be able to make the world as wonderful for someone else as they do for me. 
Today I watched the DVD of their wedding and reception. The best movie I've ever seen in my life. Someday I hope to meet someone like my Dad, and that I'll be worthy of love like that my parents share. Until then, this post is a measly amount of gratitude I can give them. Happy anniversary Mom and Dad! 
"Rise up, my love, and follow." - Song of Solomon 2:10. My parent's wedding verse. 
-Rhian









2 comments:

  1. Awesome! As a friend of your folks, individually and as a couple, your words are spot on! What a blessing they have in you, their child to honor and love them both at home and publicly! I know they are proud of you, how could they not be? It is a testament of their great parenting!! :) Keep writing, you have a true gift!

    ReplyDelete