Friday, April 5, 2013

On a certain state in the USA

No, its not Michigan. Michigan is, of course, my favorite state, seeing as I've lived here for more than half my life, but my second, and very close, favorite is the little state everyone always seems to forget about - or when they do remember it, its to boo on their sports teams. Yes, I speak of Ohio. I couldn't care less about their sports, I don't follow sports much anyway (does the fact that I flip a coin for who I want to win the Superbowl mean anything?). . Now I've moved a lot, sometimes cross-country. But I was born in the little, dusty, stinking town of Steubanville, Ohio
Steubenville has its nicer parts of town, but we had one of those little houses that looks the same. I always remember that the porch was covered in this green carpet-like substance, and I would always pretend it was grass. I don't even know how I remember half of that town, I was so young, and I don't remember lots of other things from that time period. But I remember the way the air always smelled like factory smoke, and how everything was dirty, and how much I loved the tiny little backyard and the store that was nearby our house with the mural of the man and the moon on it, and how I could just walk down the sidewalk for a few yards in any direction and be at the house of someone I knew.
Then we moved, and I was too little to really miss it, but as I got older, I started to remember everything we'd left behind. Every once in a while we'll take a visit back there, and drive past everywhere we used to. I'm not sure how the rest of my family feels, but I always knew that somehow, Steubenville, no matter where in the town, will always be just as much a home to me as where we are now. Even though now the mural of Noah's Ark is gone from my bedroom wall, I can still remember Dad singing about it to me when I lay in bed with my Tweetie sheets and my stuffed whale. The green carpet is gone from our steps now, but I remember how it looked, and how it felt. The mural remains near the store, however, and the church (which is full of candles...<3) is always there for when we want to visit - as well as the mountains.
Not rocky mountains, not tall mountains - but just giant hills covered in trees. I can always see them in my mind, looking like a forest of broccoli when I was little, now looking like a piece of my heart that will always remain in Ohio. I've heard people describe Ohio as ugly and boring - well, maybe it is. But I guess I like ugly and boring, then. But for me, those hills are never ugly, even if the rest of Ohio is flat. And when we drive those twisted roads in between them to get to our little town of memories, I feel like I'm going back to find a piece of myself that will never leave Steubenville.
"With God all things are possible" - the State motto of Ohio. As opposed to Virginia's, which is "Sic Semper Tyrannis"
-Rhian

No comments:

Post a Comment