Friday, April 12, 2013

On random happiness

Contrary to my face when I left for school this morning, which was as grumpy as the sky has been these past few days, I now feel quite joyful (though the sun stays resolutely hidden behind clouds). I can't exactly trace when it started, but it was probably around the time during writing when I had finished grading my paper and was staring at my doodle of a girl reading a book with popcorn on a rainy day. My drawings are so haphazard and ridiculous that I seldom wish to be one of them, but today I did. And I was thinking about how hungry I was, and how much I wanted to go home, and then for some reason told myself to stop being a wimp and brighten up. I mean, life is life. I'm blessed to have it. In any case, it appears to be one of those days when you are thrown into a happy mood for no reason whatsoever - but I've been able to  scrape together a few explanations. #1, first and foremost, God decided to shower me with happiness. He does that to me sometimes. #2, and also quite likely, it was seeing you guys. Friends always make me happy, even if its at school. You guys don't know how much you brighten my day. #3 is maybe that I'm having a happy hangover from some unexpected news on Monday that my mom is pregnant. We rather gave up hope after Genna, but be it far from me to laugh like Sarah (not my sister, the Old Testament woman). Actually, I cried. So that is all very good. 
It's most likely a combination of these many things - life has a way of making you depressed sometimes, but it always lifts you up. By metaphor of a heartbeat monitor - if you have no ups and downs in life, you are dead. Well I'm pleased to say my life has been looking up. Its those times that strengthen you for when you roller coaster downhill, giving you the power to make it up one more time, because you know what's on the other side. 
"Comedy is the truth that life is always on your side, and will come to good if you let it." - Dr. Russell. (Actually, he said that today during literature class. It makes sense, right? Although obviously this is the definition of comedy and has nothing to do with humor, we generally think of laughing when we hear the term. Laughter is good for making me happy - I got a lot of that today :D But the definition part makes sense too...) 
-Rhian



1 comment: