Sunday, May 26, 2013

On Dreams

Given my blog's name, you think I'd know a lot about dreams. Actually, they confuse and astound me as much as the rest of you - that is, if we're talking about the same kind of dream. Technically, dreams have two classes - daydreams, and just ordinary dreams. Though I'm an ardent daydreamer, its the latter I speak of now. Dreams are confuzzling and sometimes terrifying, though usually just plain weird. If someone could get a good look at my dreams, I'd be shut up in an insane asylum and never let out. I probably deserve to be there right now anyway, but I'd prefer not to be.
The one thing about dreams that you have at night is that you can rarely remember them - or at least, that's the feedback I usually get. Speaking for myself, I remember almost all of my dreams, and the strangest ones I write down so that I can always remember them. Though, actually, when it comes to me, if I remember a dream, I remember it. Forever. And ever.
Dreams are difficult. When you get nightmares, they shake you, and half the time you don't ever know why. I had a nightmare when I was about six, and I still remember every detail. Though I'm no longer scared of it in my waking hours, if it would happen to revisit me some night, I'm sure I would be as frightened as I was when I was young. Another difficulty with dreams is relaying them to people. They don't get how you felt in them. There's a difference between you being able to relate the dream, or live it. You are the only one who will ever be able to know how amazing it felt when you flew, or how confused you were when the blonde twins with the tranquilizer pens told you they knew your secret name, or how satisfied you were when your Aunt turned into a charm bracelet, or how crushingly sad it was to die and be reincarnated twenty years later, so all of your friends are grown up, or how terrifying it was when your dad put on a demented duck mask and began killing people...ok, see what I mean about being locked up? And those are just a few..
So what brought this on, you ask? Well, its because I dreamed last night. Aside from corn stalks that grew ice cream cones and a t-rex pillaging my town, something happened in it that hasn't happened for about a year, and only the second time it's ever happened to me. I've had boyfriends in dreams before, but they're practically always famous people, characters, or sometimes even boys I know. No, only in this dream and one a few months ago have I met someone I truly felt in love with - and it ended when I woke up.
I've never met the other guy again in a dream, so maybe I won't meet this one...but maybe I will. Because somewhere they're both in my subconscious, and maybe they'll pop up somewhere, sometime. So my advice to you today is - write down your dreams before you forget them. They make for laughs and a whole lot of memories and feelings of the impossible that are precious to you alone. 
"You know that place between sleep and awake? The place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you. That's where I'll be waiting." - Peter Pan
-Rhian

2 comments:

  1. Its funny because I have strange dreams like that one too...
    You are an amazing writer and the duck mask part made me laugh!
    Keep on doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete