Thursday, May 23, 2013

On The Vacation From Boo

The title is my Dad's idea, using my personal favorite interjection as a noun instead of it's usual verbal, adjectival or exclamatory uses. 
As most of you know, we left for a beautiful vacation in our favorite vacation site ever - Glen Arbor in Northern Michigan. It was to be a week long visit, Monday to Monday.
Operative word being "was".
From night number one, problems seemed to stick to us like flies to the fly paper. Mom, of course, had pregnancy sickness, and Dad's allergies always plague him this time of year, so Mom had forewarned us that this vacation would be different.
Little did we know just how different it would be.
I caught a nasty cold on the way up, consisting mainly of a headache and sore throat. It rained. And rained again. And rained again. Cold and misty it was, blocking our sunny lake from view. The first night, Dad didn't sleep - apparently the pollen is worse up here. So on day two, Dad went to find a hotel, which meant that he couldn't sleep in the same house, or even be in it for more than a couple of hours, which cut down our time with him. Mom got worse, and just as things seemed to be clearing up yesterday, I was struck mercilessly with some sort of add-on to a cold that I've never heard of, which makes my throat and digestive system inflamed and swollen, resulting in very shallow breaths and an inability to swallow anything. This morning it moved to one side of my throat only, so that cleared up a bit - only to have Dad declare he couldn't stand his allergies anymore.
So here we are, going home four days early.
I can vaguely relate with Adam and Eve on being expelled from Paradise. But you thought this post was just to complain, didn't you? Wrong. It's to point out how good it is to count our blessings. I got to finish the stinking book I've been plowing through for the sole reason of getting it over with, which means I get to move on to another. We got to spend a decent amount of time as a family, and what's more, today cleared up, and I spent some time in the freezing water, which never seems to bother me anyway. We got to go to our favorite town, and we got to laugh and love together, however sick we are. And we get to finish our vacation at home (so don't expect me to be online very much). So I'm going to use a famous phrase, because I think it applies well (tweaked slightly to fit the circumstances):
"Beg not for the four days you did not have - be thankful for the four days that you did." 
Can't wait until next year.
-Rhian

No comments:

Post a Comment